Parental Torture

November 11, 2007

I made a very foolish decision today. We spent a beautiful sunny afternoon trapped inside my new definition of hell...a Chuck-E Cheese type place. If you are a parent, you know what I am talking about. One of those big warehouse places filled with loud games, scary climbing structures, gobs of screaming children, bewildered parents, and bad food with lots of salt and sugar. This wasn't our first foray into the rough waters, but this was our first birthday party event in one of these places. I quickly developed a horrible headache and found myself frantically trying to keep up with both of my monkeys...not an easy task when one wants to drive the bumper cars and one wants to bang on the blinking game machines. And trying to have any type of conversation with other adults is fruitless. Besides the anxiety of losing my kids and the pain of the headache, I couldn't have a conversation because I was so overstimulated by all of the noises, blinding colors, and flashing lights. I am sure that children get left behind each day..children found in the top of those climbing structures, children still trying to decide which crappy junk toy to claim as their prize...as the parents stumble out of the building frantic to get some relief. So frantic for relief they leave their children in the warehouse of "fun". As we made our way out of the torture chamber, I suddenly understood why there were so many adults smoking by the entrance (including pregnant ones). There should be some type of parental survival room stocked with liquor, low lights, and serious sedatives (don't you think they would make even more money that way?) I can't tell you how happy I was to sit in my van with my two children strapped in their seats. They also seemed a little worn out by the whole afternoon. I hope we don't have to experience that again any time soon.
shelley said...

I have a very dear friend that has said "I will never enter a Chuck E Cheese sober again" I think you know what that means now. I guess we all have to endure that he*l one time or another.

Anonymous said...

words written so descriptively and so very true. hannah had a birthday party at bullwinkle's(very similar to c.e.c) only because we were expecting heavy rain due to a passing hurricane. originally the party was planned outside, but we had to re-group due to the forecast. bad,bad decision in retrospect! i appreciate your perspective on the experience-and it definitely is an experience!

Corinne said...

Great post friend. I have to agree. Those places give me a RAGING headache. And I don't like what my kids turn into in there- so greedy and grabby.

Heather said...

Ugh! I've managed to avoid that experience so far in my parenting career. I hope my luck holds! :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.