Happy Hour?

February 16, 2008

More like un-happy hour in our house everyday. I have started dreading that crazy time of day in the hour or two before dinner. This is the time of day when my children seem possessed with spirits that suddenly destroy the house, whine, fight, jump off of furniture, yell, and throw tantrums. I also feel possessed with demonic spirits. Trying to cook dinner (not my favorite activity especially when I haven't been to the grocery store in a week), trying to clean up (can't stand to sit down to dinner surrounded by messy chaos), and trying to keep my little monkeys from going too wild.....it makes me want to pull my hair out and run screaming from my house!

I have noticed that this time of day is harder during the winter months. It gets darker earlier so we can't play outside as long we would like. It's also harder on the nights we are trying to wait for Adam to come home for dinner....trying to keep dinner warm so we can sit down together, trying to keep the kids from not filling up on snacks before dinner, etc.


I have a dream about my children sitting quietly at the kitchen table, patiently waiting for dinner while drawing or reading books to each other.I want to hold on to this dream about happy hour but perhaps I just need to really make use of "happy hour" and start drinking something stronger than ice water!
Corinne said...

I TOTALLY agree. Winter happy hour is the worst time of my day.

park it said...

That would be 7 pm i nour houe - I was the same way at the same TIME - how unique is that???
Carol & Kimberly
ps LOVE you posts about art - I can learn so much from you!

Tisra said...

Our house, too! This year, our oldest is in public school (previously he'd done a homeschool academy) and so now we're also trying to accomplish *homework* during that awful time of evening! Sometimes I cave and allow a half hour of TV just to keep everyone in a bit of a "TV coma" so I can get a good jump on dinner. But, any tips would be greatly appreciated by me as well! :-)

Tisra

Lisa said...

Another mom gave me this definition of happy hour: Nobody's happy and mom needs a drink. It makes me laugh- its so true. ;)

Heather said...

Sounds terribly familiar. The only solution I've found so far is the same as Tirsa's--DVD's to save the day! But I like your dream better...

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.