Moved

January 20, 2009

I was moved today by so many things. By Noah's drawing of President Obama taking the oath, by Elizabeth Alexander's poem, by the faces and flags on the mall, by Mr. Obama's words, and most of all by this.

An adaptation of Simple Gifts by some of the most amazing musicians of our time. American musicians of different colors playing on the steps of the Capitol surrounded by a million people of various ages, backgrounds,stories all celebrating a historic moment in our history....a proud moment to be American. So much came welling up from inside me when the music started. Simple Gifts was one of my father's favorite songs. It was played as I walked down the aisle with both of my parents to be married under a chuppah surrounded by our family and closest friends. And now it will mark this historical day for me. Truly American music that moved me to sob with tears of joy, sadness, and pride today.
Melissa said...

You know, I was the most moved by the music, too. Glad I wasn't alone.

Corinne said...

I wanted to sing when I heard them play it!! SUCH a beautiful arrangement, and that clarinet!! It gave me goosebumps. I love that it was played at your wedding :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lucia, for this beautiful post. I stepped out of the room this morning as the Simple Gifts arrangement began and when I walked back in, midway through the song, Calder was crying. He told me he was "touched" by the music and we just sat there and cried together for a bit. Today was his 5th birthday and I felt such pride in him and hope for our country.

Unknown said...

Amen! What a beautiful day!

Anonymous said...

That piece was gorgeous! My daughter specifically noted how stunning the clarinet sounded. We were just mesmerized. I can't wait to hear it again. And now I will also think of you and your special day. :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.