More Thoughts on Comparisons

April 2, 2009

I woke up with this issue still on my mind. It's not a new one to me, but it does seem to come up in various forms and at different times for me. With the house stuff on my mind, it shaped yesterday's post, but this morning I woke up thinking about it in terms of yoga. Yoga isn't about competition. It's about focusing on my own practice. Feeling myself stretch and move into positions that initially felt awkward but gradually begin to feel just right. Moving at my own pace. Listening to my body's needs at a particular moment in time. Knowing that my body, my mind, my breathe may be in different places at the same time but still working to bring them together even if for only a few seconds. Watching others for guidance and when those feelings of envy arise trying to return the focus to my own mat. Much easier to think about mothering in terms of yoga instead of house selling. More about intrinsic vs. extrinsic validation. Not always easy to put into practice, but it does feel better to try.
Dana said...

Hi,
I've been thinking a lot about your last 2 posts. Don't have the time now to put my thoughts together in the form of a comment. Your thoughts are in my thoughts. . .corny? as I go through the day. Maybe I'll work up a post on my reaction some time, if only to get get my thoughts organized.
Love the garden.
dAna

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.