Moving: Week 1

June 7, 2009

Since this blog is a reflection of our current lives, I am afraid most of the coming posts will be about moving. Not the most thoughtful or exciting of topics, but it's a big part of our lives every three years so I am going to document it. Actually, part of the reason I am going to document it is because I am not as organized as I would like be. While talking to a friend the other night, I commented that I wish I had kept notes from our previous overseas move like she had. So here's a first attempt at doing that (plus, I keep misplacing my endless lists so perhaps typing it here will decrease some of my frustration about that!).

I am considering this week 1 since this is the first week that we start shipping items. This week we will be shipping our van to Italy (actually the Navy is paying for it to be shipped). We have to drive it to Orlando (2 hours from here). Prior to driving it down, we are planning on taking it in for one final check and tune-up. We have purchased replacement parts like air filters, windshield wipers, etc because we have been told it may be difficult to get these items (there won't be a Mazda dealership in our area). We are also planning on having the van detailed and free of pretzels, sand, wet swimsuits. We have been told to show up with less than a quarter tank of gas...not quite sure how to make that happen, but we'll do our best. It should take about 70 days to arrive by ship. Luckily we will be able to borrow a car from friends and we are planning to sell Adam's car right before we leave.

A few other things on the list for this week:

-Get final bids for having our house painted (exterior)
-Get Lease signed for our house (hooray we got renters...having it shown while we were out of town turned out to be very successful!)
-Keep sorting through the garage (spent most of the weekend doing this and still more to do)
- Find chimney sweep to make sure our fireplace is safe for renting
-Set aside items for our Express pack-out which happens a week from tomorrow. These are items that should be there when we arrive (basic kitchen supplies, sheets, towels, some toys/books, summer clothes, etc). 1000 pound limit.
- Finalize our travel plans
-Check on status of our Italian visas
-Get area rugs cleaned and ready for shipping (can a regular cleaners do this?)
- Buy one or two more large area rug (lots of tile floors in Sicily)
- Keep kids entertained (why didn't I sign them up for some camp sessions?)
Dana said...

ummm. . . what about some pads for under some of those rugs? Just a thought as those floors are tough. (i don't have any, just the anti-slip stuff, but I often wish I had some serious carpet padding under a rug or two.)

Francesca said...

It must be an exciting time! By the way, tile floors are wonderful: so easy to clean, and so cool in hot weather!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

rug pads...now added to the list. thank you! and good to hear tile is easy. keep the suggestions coming, please.

Amy @ The Q Family said...

It must be exciting and hectic at the same time. I moved 3 times since I had kids and everytimes I feel like I'm losing my mind. Hope your move goes smoothly.

Weasel said...

I am so HAPPY you found renters! What a huge relief!!!!

On the tile floor thingy, friends of ours mentioned that they couldn't go without a floor steam cleaner mop thingy while living in Europe...no chemicals needed and easy way to sterilize floors. Not sure if easier to think about one there (due to outlet compatabilities) or here. Just a thought.

As usual, looks like you have everything under control.

Hoping everything goes smoothly!!!

Mom said...

Most companies that do "in house" carpet cleaning will also pick up area rugs and clean them in their facilities. You keep saying that you are not organized, but you sound pretty organized to me! You have a lot to coordinate and you are doing a great job! Not many of us could handle this every 3 years!!!

Karen said...

We bought large rugs (10 x 12, etc) plus padding at the NEX. I bought some rugs at Sig NEX and others here, but they are run by the same mgt. -- We are up to our eyes in our move. I can't wait for this transitional period to be over! Hope to see you in MD?-

Dana said...

Ahhh. . . .the NEX. The army PX is quite different. I often compare it to Dillards vs Walmart -- with the px being the walmart! lol It is VERY difficult to get much of anything of quality at the px, especially our px.

Also, an Italian friend or two swears by steam cleaners, especially for tile. I don't have one, but I am tempted at times.

morninglight mama said...

Okay, so my comments on these posts will all be the same-- holy smoke, good luck, and have fun!!!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Thanks for the additional comments. Now adding steam cleaner to my list. Those do look like very good things...any recommendation on specific brand?

Karen said...

They also sell the cleaner at the NEX! You could look online and see what they sell b/c even if they don't stock it you can order it for free in store delivery. Just less to worry over. Also, if you are mailing things (we are) on your own then make sure you get a letter stating you are eligible for reimbursement (up to $70 or so..) from Personal Property BEFORE you move.-- Good luck.

Karen said...

C says you'll get $110 from FL to Italy. Once here you'll submit a claim. It's good to mail those last minute items you forgot about...

Dawn Suzette said...

As for the kids entertainment... Fionna has been diggin' this site and Dylan is quiet entertainted watching her...
http://www.poissonrouge.com/
Sending smooth moving thoughts your way...

Donna W. said...

Lucia: As for the kids, Emilee is now out of school and could be available to watch the kids. She is a tomboy, so understands things like Pokemon and what things boys like to do. She's also really good with little Chinese girls, as well. Let me know if you'd like me to bring her by one day.

Hugs,
Donna

Genie said...

I learned how to play tennis while my parents were packing up the house in Germany for our move to Spain -- it was a week of all-morning tennis camp for me! It turned out to be a great skill down the road, and kept me out of the way...and also kept me distracted from the sound of packing tape, which was kind of freaking me out, even though some of my earliest memories already involved moving overseas. Good luck with all of it -- it's a ton of work! Hang in there!

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.