A Whole New World

June 8, 2009


We really should be studying Italian, but these days we are immersed in another foreign language/culture: Pokemon. Noah's cousin recently passed down his huge collection of cards. Since that time Noah has been studying the cards with such ferocious focus. Using all of his brain cells to read and calculate the meaning and value of each card. He is trying to make sense of it. While I am trying to adjust to this new phase of boyhood and still undecided about the whole thing. Glad to see him so excited. Glad to see him reading (much more excited about reading Pokemon cards than any of those boring early readers...I can't really blame him, they are boring). Nice to see him striking up conversations with other kids who brought their cards on the airplane. But not so easy to soothe him today when he became very upset about a battle with a friend. Not so easy to help him understand the "game" when I struggle to even comprehend half of what he has already so easily absorbed.

Any tips for navigating this strange new world?
morninglight mama said...

Oh, I wish I had some guidance to offer, but the world of Pokemon is one that we somehow never entered... now, Star Wars, that is a topic that everyone in this house is well-versed in. (Even Pudge knows what to do with JAM's light saber when he picks it up... ugh!)

Jo said...

All I can tell you is that eventually he'll grow out of it. Both of my brothers were all about Pokemon when they were his age and then moved on to sports, reading...and all sorts of other things.
I can remember my brothers coming home upset from "battles" and my mom just telling them that its a game and that they shouldn't play if they're not having fun.
Tell Noah and Camille I say hello :)

Tara said...

Owen moves in and out of his fascination with Pokemon. We looked up the directions for playing the game online and it is kind of complicated.

Owen really just enjoys collecting the cards and trading them with his pals.

Betsey said...

Are those cards still around?!! I never understood the game. My kids just enjoyed collecting the cards as far as I know. Although, I have a vague recollection now of tears and losing cards in a battle, so there must have been some gaming going on. It does pass soon enough. I was glad to throw those cards away. We also had lots of light sabers in our home. :D

Maybe he'll move into baseball cards. Oh, what might it be in Italy - do they have soccer cards? Or something else all together.

I love your pictures. And your adventures preparing to move.

Corinne said...

Sheely just said to me the other day "I think I might want to start collecting Pokeman cards." That was sorta out of the blue :) I said it was her money :)

Maybe if you learn some tips you could pass them my way - I know nothing except that they seem to be pretty weird dudes.

Mom said...

Don't know if it will help but I went to this sight and it lays out the basic game rules, so that might help. http://www.pokecorner.com/rules-pokemon-1.htm
I am going to have to try to understand this game so we can play with him next time we see you!!!
I think it is great that he has found something that he really wants to read and understand.

Susan said...

It was funny to read this today, because your friend Benjamin, now almost 20 years old, took all of his old Pokemon cards to a friend's house on Saturday night, and they played Pokemon until 2 am. This, after not even looking at those hundreds of cards for I don't know how many years! And to think that I was getting ready to sell them on eBay or something.....

Cami said...

I kind of hate pokemon. I didn't let my kids watch it, but now and then I do now. And they like the toys and Bakugon and others. I just try to expose them to lots of OTHER things too, so they are well-rounded. I figure there's no real harm in them.

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Thanks for all of the Pokemon tips and support! There should be an on-line support group for mothers new to Pokemon...actually, thanks to wonders of internet there probably already is. Might need to research that.

Susan, how can Ben possibly be 20 years old?! Makes me smile to think of him discovering his pokemon cards.

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.