Mama, Yoga, and Country Western Tunes

July 2, 2009

"Kick me in the head and pour urine on top": that's the country western title that came to me at 4 am as I was stewing over a very sleepless night. I am in a country music phase right now. Something about the summer heat makes me crave the old style country music that I fell in love with during that summer spent working on the ranch. Listening to the country legends radio station on my way to yoga this morning I had to laugh at myself. I am a weird little mix of things/interests. Sometimes it really hits the spot to hear those twangy sounds.Sometimes melancholy, sometimes funny (like this one from this morning),sometimes just plain comforting and sentimental. I guess all of the recent country music is having a strange impact on my brain because when I stomped around the house this morning in the wee hours, I fluctuated between coming up with country western song titles and wanting to give my children a taste of what they gave me all night: urine, bruises, and sleep deprivation. At some point both kids were in bed with us, both had accidents, Camille did a lot of kicking, and by the morning Adam and I somehow ended up sharing Noah's twin bed. I know bed wetting is not the typical material for a song, but seems like more mamas should be writing country western tunes. I think there is a good market for it. Perhaps there already is and I don't know about it because I spend too much time listening and loving Johnny Cash. I am trying to be empathetic. I know this is a rough time especially for the kids, but sleep deprivation is not helping any of us. Thank goodness for my mama, yoga, and country western music...that combo sounds like it could be a country song in the making, too.
Anonymous said...

Sounds like you were "Sleeping Double in a Single Bed" too. Love old country. (That's all that played on my dad's car radio. Almost like comfort food to hear the old songs) Lived in Nashville for many years. Used to see some of the old stars hanging out in the same places I did. Even got to go to the Opry every once in a while. Love your new song title. It could go places. Love David Frizzell song too. You know my saying "Stessed is Desserts spelled backwards". That's why I'm the size I am.

Jan

morninglight mama said...

Not that your situation is in any way funny, but man, you've got me laughing with this post! I think you should record the song, and then when we visit your blog, it could start playing in the background. :)

Emily said...

hahaha! oh dear, i'm sorry, if it was me i wouldn't be laughing...though it makes for a great blog post! i turn into a little bit of a monster when shenanigans like that happen at night. and i too have a fondness for country music, from my days at the ranch. :) hope you get some good sleep soon!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Very happy to report that we all finally had a good night's sleep...feels so good to wake up rested and urine free!

And please feel free to laugh. I wasn't laughing at four in the morning but I did laugh a little later in the day and now that I have had some decent sleep I can laugh even more.

Glad to see I am not alone in the country western love. Jan, I have never heard that phrase about stress but I love it. Emily, where were you? Rainbow Trout Ranch was on the New Mexico/Colorado border. I loved that summer.

Tisra said...

For a Southern California girl who's lived in Music City U.S.A for 11 years- I'll admit I really enjoy country. Then again, old timers might not call it country. I like the new stuff. Some old Cash. But mostly the new- Carrie Underwood, Sugarland (love Sugarland!)...you get the picture.

This time of transition *is* hard on the kids, and as long as you acknowledge it, you'll be a great support to them. As long as you get sleep. :-)

Anonymous said...

Lucia,

The joke was when I was pregnant with J, we were going to name him Johnny Merle Stricklin. Randy like Johnny Cash and I LOVE Merle Haggard. We liked the name because it flowed. You have to have a name that flows when you are mad at them. So you can say, "Johnny Merle Strickin you git over here raght now!"

Jan

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Jan, so funny and true about a name needing to flow! :)

Corinne said...

Friend, you are so great. I love this post - and MAN have we had the pee-in-my-bed sorts of nights.

Emily said...

I was at Vista Verde Guest Ranch just outside of Steamboat Springs for three summers...definitely a great experience. After that last summer I had graduated from college and almost stayed on as a year-round employee, but moved to Denver instead. Anyway! And hey, great idea about turning Ro's family portrait into something. I'll have to see what I can come up with. My grandmother had a drawing I did made up into her Christmas cards one year...Hope you and your family had a great 4th! I've really been enjoying your beach photos.

Dawn Suzette said...

Wow! It is good to be able to laugh later... :)

Darla said...

I'm a yogi and a sucker for "Delta Dawn" and "You're the reason God make Okalahoma", too! Hope you find rest, soon.

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.