Winter Garden

December 1, 2009

Over the past few weeks we have been building and planting our winter garden. Friends who were moving back to the States generously gave us the wood and the dirt from their raised garden bed. Adam moved all of it from their yard to ours with a wagon. Lots of dirty, heavy work (thank you, babe) and then re-assembled it in our back yard. That bed is now full of lettuce, broccoli, onions, and purple sicilian cauliflower. I had some left over cauliflower and broccoli so I tucked them into our front bed (remember our lasagna style bed?). We have truly embraced the concept of edible landscaping. In addition to the broccoli and cauliflower, our front yard also has rosemary,three different types of thyme, oregano, basil, chives, sage, and lettuce. Makes me very happy. The only thing that is not making me happy is a visiting cat who has chosen our new raised bed as his personal litter box. He keeps returning to one specific corner of the bed. Any suggestions? I am getting ready to try sprinkling pepper in that area, but would welcome any other ideas.
Unknown said...

Peppermint oil mixed with water in a spray bottle works pretty well

Dana said...

Same thing happening here. . . but I think it's more than one culprit! Ughh. I don't tend it much in the late fall or winter, but dread what awaits me in the spring.

likeschocolate said...

I know marigolds work, but I don't know if they live during the winter. They can't stand the smell!

Jessica said...

I've heard coffee grounds work. ??? Best of luck with that icky problem.

Francesca said...

I was also told the sprinkling pepper trick, though I can't really say it worked! Good luck!

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.