Maternal Joy

March 2, 2010

A few weeks ago the kids were grumbling in the back seat about how grown-ups have it so easy. I can't remember what triggered the comments (fussing about carseats? wanting to eat candy three times a day?),but it led to an amusing conversation about adulthood. I asked the kids what they thought would be the best parts of being adults. Without hesitation, Camille stated "having babies and being able to read" and Noah quickly chimed in "I'd be able to read all the big books". I couldn't help smiling. A true moment of mama pride and joy. If I don't do anything else right as a parent, at least my kids dream about growing up and reading (and giving me grandbabies).

I am holding on tight to that little exchange and trying to remember it when lately there seems to be a lot of whining and testing going on around here.
morninglight mama said...

How so very wonderful, and perfect for today, Read Across America day... we'll just add in "and Italy, too" to the name. :)

Emily said...

i can't imagine a better thing to hear children say!

Mom2Isabel said...

What a testimony to the foundation you have built for them.

Books and babies...it really doesn't get much beter than that.

Okay..maybe chocolate too. : )

Unknown said...

what a gift indeed! Hope my kid will be saying the same some day, too. Just ordered a little cassette player to start with the books on tape thanks to your inspiration.

aimee said...

i know, isn't it amusing how they see our lives as a complete cakewalk! and how wonderful how they see that there are some very good things indeed about growing up.

Laurie said...

That's just awesome...can't think of ANYTHING better to inspire than a love of books!

the little travelers said...

Lucky you! When that conversation came up in our house and I asked my kids the same question they said, "I can't wait to boss my own kids arounds and make them do stuff for me." The conversation was inspired by their duty to do the dishes that night. I said, "Even though you don't like doing them? You're going to make your own kids do it?" They both said, "Of course! So we don't have to!" hahaha...

Heather said...

How sweet is that? Yay for validation! :)

Lorraine Akemann said...

Score on the reading comment!

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.