Domestic

July 28, 2011

I know, I know, I know I promised to begin posting more regularly once we returned to Sicily, but the days of visiting and sightseeing with my sister and my cousins just flew by in a big sweaty blur. A good blur, but also a bit of an exhausting one and so after an intense month of day trips, weekend trips, and countless hours in the car, the kids cheered when I informed them that our new "schedule" would be home, pool,home.It feels good to just hunker down at home for a bit. Swimming lessons each morning and lazy afternoons filled with popsicles, playdough, occasional library visits, Adam's soccer games, and hanging out with friends. 

Returning to the domestic realm means I have high hopes for finally sitting down to go through photos from the past few months, catching up on blogging, and weeding out kids' clothes and toys that are no longer in use. It also means I will have to return to my dreaded task of laundry (my cousin,Adie, spoiled us by doing the laundry while she was here). In a moment of spectacular domestic dumbness, this morning I melted my new Northface hiking shorts. Note to self: ironing nylon is never a good thing. Second note to self: just stick to your usual lazy method of removing wrinkles by tossing clothes in the dryer or pretending not to notice them at all. I had to laugh out loud and think about my dad when I quickly realized what I had done...still working on those "domestic skills" of mine.


Camille keeps begging to bake cookies and perhaps we will get to that one of these days, but to be honest I think her playdough cookies are the best way to bake cookies in the summer. Just feels too darn hot to even think about turning on the oven. I may not be the most "domestic" person, but Camille does seem to have all of the patience and precision for baking that I lack. I can only hope that she will follow in her aunts' flour encrusted footsteps and grow up to bake us all sort of delicious treats, but for now I am very content to sit in a little, wooden chair eating her play dough cookies while reveling in the miracle of air conditioning and enjoying this time at home.
Barbara said...

Hi There! I just wanted to let you know that I couldn't help but nominate you for the "7 Links Project" because I love your blog! Saluti da California! Barbara (http://theespressobreak.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-7-links-project.html)

emil said...

Nice Info


http://medancrayfish.blogspot.com


Thanks

Emil

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.