Roll With It

August 5, 2011

Toliet paper rolls, paper towel rolls, acrylic paint, ribbon and a busy pair of hands resulted in this fabulous garland for Adam's birthday celebration last weekend. I LOVE the way this turned out and also the flash of desperation (very last minute decision to gather neighbors and friends around the fire pit) which led to inspiration and a much needed way to decrease our stockpile of paper rolls. So while I frantically cleaned up and baked cupcakes, Camille diligently and enthusiastically painted and painted and painted.
After the rolls were dry, I punched holes in the tubes and strung them on the ribbon. And voila: a very festive garland. I have been wanting to make garlands like this newspaper bunting one or this fabric one or this yo-yo one but I have never gotten around to doing it. I think I am finally beginning to accept the fact that I am more of a last-minute flash of desperation/inspiration crafter and not one of those super organized, methodical ones. I don't have a lot of patience for long and drawn out projects or for precise ones either. But hand me a bag of toliet paper rolls and watch out!
In addition, to the very impromptu street gathering we celebrated Adam's birthday with the most spectacular volcanic display. Mt. Etna's fiery show was a very good reminder that some of the best moments in life are the unplanned ones and sometimes it really is best just to "roll with it"! Happy Birthday, Adam! 
 P.S. Don't forget about the Alphabet Glue give-away. Only two more days left until I pull the winning names and I'd hate for you to miss out!
Karen said...

V. cute. I have tons of toilet paper rolls too! I've done Maya Mades paper bunting for several things and it does come together really nice. I made a b-day one, a mardi gras one and one for lizzie's school. The best part is they stack flat and can be reused. I was thinking I would do a halloween one with the kids too. Maybe I'll put some TP rolls in with it!

Karen said...

oh- Buon Compleanno Adam!

se7en said...

Totally cool!!! Brilliant birthday party!!! Have a great year!!

Megan said...

great idea! we have our fair share of toilet paper rolls...

Unknown said...

Happy bday Adam! LOVE the garlands and your flash of creative inspiration!!!

shelley said...

To think we only make binoculars out of our toilet paper rolls. Really cute idea....borrowing

amy (mamascout) said...

this is a great idea!

Francesca said...

I love the Camille's garland - so colorful and creative! Happy birthday to Adam.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Adam!

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.