The Picture Store

March 16, 2013


Last weekend was warm enough for the kids to wear shorts. I didn't think it was quite warm enough to do the same, but it reminded me of winter dips in the ocean as a kid...we were just so eager to do it that a few goosebumps were easily ignored. Regardless of attire, the warm weather meant that we all spent as much time as we could outside and in the sun. Camille and her best friend who also happens to be our neighbor set up a "picture store".  They made three dollars selling their artwork, but what I really loved about the whole thing was their confidence and excitement. There were no qualms or doubts about proudly showing and selling their work. It seemed like a good thing to do, so they did it. I admire that.

This weekend will not be nearly as pleasant. Rainy, grey, cold and we will be spending most of it outside. Noah has his first big soccer tournament. The van is loaded with hand warmers, umbrellas, gloves, multiple changes of clothes, old towels and a mix of adrenaline, soccer mama pride, and dread. I wish we could have just a little bit of last weekend's warmth. But the dreary weather, doesn't seem to faze Noah a bit and he is fired up and ready. I admire that, too. 
Corinne said...

I hope your weekend is great - at least it wasn't as horrible today as we were worried it would be. Clint ran the DC marathon this morning and it could've been much worse!

Also, LOVE the picture store. LOVE.

Karla said...

A great new twist on the lemonade stand! Emily is looking for friends like Camille & Katie. :) I love the art that states "I" "Love Night Clubs." That is a "keeper." :)
We've had a few spring-like teaser days in Japan, too. Cherry blossoms are blooming….be sure to visit the tidal basin in DC.

The Andres said...

How sweet! When I saw your post's title and the mention of Katie, all I could think of was "Katie's Picture Show." I still want to work on getting James Mayhew here to Sig. :) Hope Noah's soccer game went well. Tomorrow's the first day of spring--maybe warmer weather is on your way to stay!

The Andres said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Theresa said...

Too cute!

Tracy said...

Ahh the picture store! My son has made an 'art gallery' a couple of times in the hope of selling his paintings. The first time it was to raise enough money to set up a lemonade stand. He and his friend even insisted on standing out on the road waving signs at cars trying to get people to come into their gallery. They were so upset when cars didn't stop. Hope the weather stays warm for you and the kids can keep their shorts out.

cheryl.mccann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cheryl.mccann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cheryl.mccann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cheryl.mccann said...

what a wonderful idea! the picture store. if i'd have been walking by, i would have bought one.

cheryl.mccann said...

sorry - somehow my comment posted 4 times!

Johanna said...

I did things like this all the time when I was little!
...and I still do as an adult just in a different way :)
It's just so fun!

Latest Instagrams

© Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish. Design by FCD.